Milk, whether it is full fat, semi or fully skimmed, contains around 5% lactose, which is a naturally occurring sugar found in milk. As with normal sugars (which are carbohydrates), it is simply broken down into its basic building blocks (glucose and galactose) and used for energy production.
However, some adults have what is called ‘lactose intolerance’ where they find it more difficult to digest and metabolise the lactose. Sometimes this can lead to bloating and discomfort in the stomach. The reason for this is because we are no longer producing the enzyme ‘lactase’, whose job it is to break it down.
In the Muscle Maintenance powder product from Prime Fifty, we have added a suitable amount of the enzyme, lactase, so that the lactose present in the milk derived product, can more easily be digested.
- Do Collagen Supplements Really Work?
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Skin As You Age
- Nourish Your Skin From Within With These 5 Top Tips
- Why collagen supplements are important to the health of ageing skin
- Why Do We Need Nutritional Supplements
- Why Over 50s DO Need Supplements
- Supplement Mythbusting with Dr Max
- Do Supplements Work?
- The importance of Maintaining Energy
- The importance of Joint Health