Needed throughout the body, iron is an essential part of hemoglobin, which carries our oxygen around the body, within red blood cells. It is also found in another oxygen carrier called myoglobin which is found in our muscles. By helping to supply oxygen, it is easy to appreciate that if iron stores are low, then we can start to feel tired due to a lack of oxygen within our blood supply. This is a form of iron deficiency anemia.
However, this problem is actually not that common and supplementation with iron is best done via one’s GP, as an over indulgence in iron, can also cause problems. In fact according to some learned establishments, older people are not at any more risk of deficiency that their younger counterparts. Too much iron can also cause nausea and constipation, so iron supplementation should typically be better only as a short-term measure.
Prime Fifty have included iron at quite low amounts and only in their energizing product.
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Skin As You Age
- Nourish Your Skin From Within With These 5 Top Tips
- Why collagen supplements are important to the health of ageing skin
- Why Do We Need Nutritional Supplements
- Why Over 50s DO Need Supplements
- Supplement Mythbusting with Dr Max
- Do Supplements Work?
- The importance of Maintaining Energy
- The importance of Joint Health
- The Importance of Bone Health