Calcium is the most abundant mineral found in our body and virtually 99% of it is found in our bones and teeth. Together with collagen protein, it gives mechanical strength to our bones, without which our bones will become weak and be prone to easy fractures. Our body’s calcium is also in constant equilibrium with both our bones calcium and also calcium in the bloodstream and elsewhere.
As we all age, and especially with post menopausal women, our bones tend to lose calcium faster than new bone is formed so getting our daily calcium intake is extremely important, if we are to avoid osteoporosis, where bone density starts to drop and fracture becomes more likely. But calcium is also involved in other very important functions such as helping our blood to clot when we bleed and also, like potassium, muscle contraction too.
Prime Fifty has not only included calcium into its Healthy Bones product, but has also added this to the Muscle Maintenance product.
- Do Collagen Supplements Really Work?
- 5 Ways To Improve Your Skin As You Age
- Nourish Your Skin From Within With These 5 Top Tips
- Why collagen supplements are important to the health of ageing skin
- Why Do We Need Nutritional Supplements
- Why Over 50s DO Need Supplements
- Supplement Mythbusting with Dr Max
- Do Supplements Work?
- The importance of Maintaining Energy
- The importance of Joint Health