How to Boost Your Immune System
Our immune system protects our bodies from harmful substances such as: bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi and toxins. The immune system is made up of a collection of immune cells, proteins and various organs, all working together to protect our health. The immune system cleverly recognises foreign invaders and immediately springs into action to safeguard our bodies.
Does the immune system weaken with age?
As we age, our immune response is reduced, increasing the risk of infections.
Studies indicate that the vast majority of older adults fail to reach the RDA (the daily recommended intake) of nutrients. Without all these nutrients, our health can take a big hit, including our immunity, which in turn increases our vulnerability towards disease and illness.
As we age, our digestion changes and with the addition of medication, the gut struggles to absorb vitamins and minerals from our diet and its these struggles that have a big impact on our immune system.
If you’d like more information about what happens to our bodies as we age and why your nutritional needs need to change, read our article here.
How can you improve your immune system?
The immune system does a remarkable job of defending against disease-causing microorganisms, but sometimes it fails and causes illness.
There are many ways to naturally boost your immune system, starting with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Every part of your body, including your immune system, functions better when protected from environmental factors and is made stronger through healthy-living strategies such as:
- Stopping smoking
- Eating a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Taking supplements to augment your normal diet
- Exercising regularly
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Getting adequate sleep
- Taking steps to avoid infection (e.g. washing your hands frequently)
- Minimising stress
Taking supplements to boost your immune system
There is ample evidence that various micronutrient deficiencies, for example, deficiencies of zinc, selenium, iron, copper, folic acid, and vitamins B6, B12, C, and D, can reduce immune response in humans. In fact, scientific trials have shown that all these micronutrients are needed to help support the immune system generally.
A common misconception is that Vitamin C is the answer when it comes to boosting your immune system. However, what’s really needed is a range of immunity boosting micronutrients at the right level.
Prime Fifty supplements have a built-in set of immunity boosting micronutrients including Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamins B6, B12 and Folic Acid plus key trace minerals such as selenium iron, copper and also zinc.
This special Healthy Ageing Blend is available in the Fighting Fatigue, Healthy Joints, Strong Bones and Maintaining Muscle products. Prime Fifty’s Super Greens effervescent tablet also contains this list of immunity boosting micronutrients plus extracts from kale, broccoli, spinach, chlorella and spirulina too. A true all-rounder, to keep you hydrated and healthy.
- The importance of vitamin D supplements during lockdown
- The Health Benefits of Getting Enough Sleep
- How to Boost Your Immune System
- Food Matters Podcast: Dr Max Gowland Of Prime Fifty On Over-50 Health Needs
- Maintaining Muscle Is Vital As We Age
- Daily Mail: Are Supplements Really Worth Taking?
- Time for us Older Guys to show how its done in the Gym
- Prime Fifty now available in WAITROSE
- Christine Bailey talks about how Prime Fifty supplements can help us as we age
- Prime Fifty teams up with Forest Holidays- Enjoy 10% Off!!!